Saturday, April 28, 2012

S-l-o-w D-o-w-n



The other day, I was running around doing my typical errands; drug store, grocery store, post office, dry cleaners, etc., when I drove past a neighborhood park that I have enjoyed walking in, birding, and snapping a few hundred photos!

The weather was b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l; sunny, mild, with a slight brisk breeze.  I thought for a moment about how much I had planned to do that day, and what a wonderful day I was missing.  Then suddenly, I pulled over – parked my car and went into the park.


I looked around at all the people in the park; couples, families with children, single folks - walking, riding bikes, some even skating or skate boarding. 




I listened to the sounds around me; constant chatter, laughter, birds chirping & singing, children cheering and even a bunch of older gentlemen arguing over their bocce game.









I enjoyed the smiles of those I passed, and found myself in many quick conversations with those no longer strangers.  I even had two buddies wanting to pose for a picture during a break in their bocce game.





I strolled around the familiar lake – checking out the ducks, geese and a curious turtle.  Watched as excited children threw pieces of bread towards the ducks and giggled as groups of feathered diners went a bit crazy for an afternoon snack. 


A few young sailors showed off their talents on the lake.



There were many, many dogs, which of course brought a smile to my face each time I came across them.  I even passed a skater with his dog trotting alongside him. 





As I continued, I came across others involved in all sorts of activities; badminton, deep converstations, exercising, groups doing Tai chi, and even someone riding a unicycle!


I then took a stroll on a path that goes through a wooded area, where I was blessed to spot a Red-bellied Woodpecker – and wondered, as I do every time I see one of these, why is this the bird’s name, when actually the crown on his head is red, and he has a grayish belly?  I laughed as I attempted to get a picture of this extremely active woodpecker, and finally just stood back and watched him fly from tree to tree, almost as if he were teasing me.


As I came out of the wooded path – I saw a Good Humor Ice Cream truck parked on the side street and tried to remember - when was the last time I stood by an ice-cream truck waiting to order my ice cream treat?  After this day, I will be able to remember!

While I continued to walk around, many people came to mind, and I said a short prayer for each; some I knew situations they were going through, others I asked the Lord to be there for ‘whatever’ they were dealing with at this moment, and if all is well, to continue to bless each one.
I thanked the Lord for the beauty around me, for the people in this park, and even for ice-cream.  I thanked Him for my family; my children, my grandchildren, my father, my sisters & and their children.  I asked Him to reveal himself to them at that very moment.




I returned to my car – realized it was now too late to stop by the post office or pick up my dry cleaning, but smiled and thought – it was all worth it.  I felt calm and yet energized, ready to continue on my journey – with a thankfulness for this one day when I decided to slow down.


3 comments:

  1. So inspiring! Glad you had your special day. I need to slow down more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you stopped because you've blessed me.. your words and pictures are such a challenge to nurture the artist/photographer/poet God has put inside of us. He must be amazed at how dense we are not to notice! Thanks for the reminder and for sharing your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was such a great story. The fact that we all have so much to do. When we slow down and just look around at what God made for us all. We should all slow down and appreciate the beauty and wonder of every sight, sound and marvel, What a wonderful World !" We thank God for everything and witness his handy work. Everything else can wait ! Enjoy life. Thank you for your message today.

    Tony C.

    ReplyDelete