Friday, April 6, 2012

It Is Finished

No one took his life!


It may seem that way to the world as the soldiers beat him unmercifully, tore away at his flesh, dragged his tortured body up a hill and nailed him to a cross; as he gasped for his breath while hanging on the cross – crucifixion being a tradition of the Romans to ensure a slow and painful death; as they mocked him - calling him to come down and prove himself to others by freeing himself.

When Jesus prayed to the Father earlier in the Garden of Gethsemane – he asked, “If it is possible, may this cup be taken from me.”  But he also said, “nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will,” showing his willingness to be obedient to the Father’s plan for redemption.

As he hung on the cross – he took full control.  He asked the Father to forgive those that “knew not what they were doing” as they sneered and mocked him, waiting for him to die.  He spoke with the two men hanging on either side of him.  Seeing the repented heart of one, he told him he would be with him in paradise.  He called to his disciple to care for his mother and his mother to know she will be cared for once he was gone.  Although earlier he refused to drink when being offered something, to fulfull scripture he now called out, "I thirst" and then received some vinegar offered to his mouth. 

But most importantly – he willingly took on my sin.  A blameless man, who knew no sin, was willing to take on my sin, fulfill my sentence of death – being separated from his Father for the first and only time ever – since my sin could not be in the presence of a Holy God.  He became the holy sacrificial lamb – shed his blood as atonement for me – so that I, Nancy, may be able to stand before a Holy God.

And once he knew that all he needed to do was accomplished, then, and only then, he bowed his head and gave up this spirit.



So when I look upon the cross, and remember his words – “It is finished,” I remember he gave his life for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment