Friday, May 11, 2012

A Mother's Heart



May 13, 1979 I celebrated my first Mother’s Day with my 4-month-old son.  I was on top of the world being a Mom, and this day was a day I was excited to call my own.  I was lucky to be a stay-at-home Mom, and was determined to enjoy every moment as well as be sure to care for my son in a way that would make a difference in his life. 

Three years later, I was expecting my 2nd child, my daughter.  I was happily married, one month away from having 2 children, and blessed to be given the challenge of raising these precious little ones.  Life was beautiful! 

I was privileged to have many other Moms around in my neighborhood; we became friends, supporters, counselors, and cheerleaders as we all attempted to guide our children each and every day.  Our children became friends, some of which my children are still friends today, and later we shared weddings and now the excitement of grandchildren.



When my children were only 2½ and 6, our family was faced the with the devastation of divorce.  My heart ached with fear and a deep concern at how this would affect my children’s lives.  Together, we moved forward in this new and frightening phase of our lives.

The three of us struggled, grew closer, and learned the hard way about trust, love, and what it takes to truly build a family.  My faith was challenged so many times, but as I look back, I know it was the strength of the Lord that carried us through every single day.  It wasn’t until my faith became real and grew deeply, before I could literally see healing in our home.

I could write about all the struggles, all the tests, all the tears, all the difficult times we experienced. 

But what I remember most is – the light in my children’s eyes – their laughter – lots of hugs – story time – bedtime cuddles – game time – building indoor tunnels with blankets – special vacations – silly dancing – movie nights with Chinese food takeout – our first kittens – playground fun - birthday celebrations – Christmas mornings – sleigh riding – silly faces – making our own holiday traditions - learning to ride a two-wheeler – graduations – long conversations – praying together – unbroken promises – hope – and with this year, 34 Mother’s Day celebrations!

1 comment: