Saturday, January 21, 2012

Redeeming Love

I read Redeeming Love - by Francine Rivers – and found this biblical/fiction story of Hosea, retold as a story during the Gold Rush in the 1850s, captivating my heart and my soul immediately.  I found myself looking at my schedule each day to see when I would be able to continue on this journey in the lives of each character in this story.

As a young child sold into prostitution, Angel now cannot grasp the love offered to her by a kind farmer, Michael Hosea.  Along with witnessing the unconditional love of God, she is tormented by her past and distrust of all men and any love at all.  Angry and bitter and certain there is no hope for redemption or love, Angel is pulled back to the dark world she was given the opportunity to be freed from.

Michael’s love as a husband, demonstrates the love God intended between husband & wife.  Not without doubt, pain, bitterness and lies, Michael’s commitment to his marriage, and his ultimate commitment to God, demonstrates how the choice to love his wife, is the only chance of turning these struggles into goodness, sweetness, happiness and truth.

Each time Angel would run away from Michael’s love, it reminded me of how many times I myself “run” from the promises of God, trying to make it on my own.  It also reminded me of God’s open arms of forgiveness, redemption, and never-ending love.

I found it a blessing to have read this amazing book – and an even greater blessing to be reminded of the perfect, unconditional love of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment