Saturday, January 14, 2012

Mercies In Disguise

I was recently listening to a song by Laura Story, entitled Blessings – and it was one of those moments, when you hear a song you’ve heard many times before, but this time it is speaking directly to your heart.

Something touched me deeply and I began taking some time to reflect on the words – especially the chorus.


'Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
And what if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You’re near
What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy
And what if trials of this life
The rain, the storms, the hardest nights
Are Your mercies in disguise


It caused me to think about how I approach my prayer life.  Do I realize the many blessings that occur in my everyday life?  Do I know of the Lord’s mercies in all that I am facing?  Do I trust Him enough to know He loves me, protects me, and allows many things to occur in my life, so I may cling to Him and His Word more and more?

I think I look too much at prayers that seem to be answered “my way” as blessings and signs of the Lord’s Mercy.  I don’t take enough time to look back at what I considered unanswered prayer and see how those particular situations brought me to a closer relationship with the Lord, a confirmation of His presence, and a time when my faith was strengthened.

I know He hears each of my words, but I also know He knows so much more than I can ever fathom, and His answers are always to unfold His will and His calling for me and my relationship with Him.



I have to remember this is not my home – this is a time to be conformed to the image of my Savior – a time to grow in wisdom and faith and a time to trust in all His ways – to prepare me for my true home.





If I would only take time to wait on the Lord – accept the trials and disappointments in my life as blessings – then I will realize the many mercies in disguise.

1 comment:

  1. That is such a good blog!!! I have cone to realize that difficult times are often a blessing because you are drawn closer to Him! And thats the best place to be!

    ReplyDelete