Saturday, June 30, 2012

Feathered Friends

There is something special about taking time to walk through a park, a wildlife sanctuary, or even my neighborhood, listening to and looking for birds.


I am a birder – yes a true lover of those feathered beings – small and huge, songbirds, water birds, flocks and loners.  A pastime that began many years ago on a day out with a friend – that ended up capturing my heart and interest in these amazing creatures.  But that’s another story (see here).

I have my binoculars – to enable me to see the details of many birds sitting high and far; many guidebooks - to research what I have seen; my journal – which I note each species I was lucky to see; and of course my camera – which brings in another pastime, photography – allowing me to capture these moments forever.
I’ve been collecting some of my favorite pictures, hoping to create a pictorial collection of the many birds I have seen.  As I continue to go out birding and gathering these pictures, I am amazed at the number of different birds I have seen.  While away on vacation I’ve been able to see some species that I most likely would never have seen locally.  But I must admit, the majority, and there are many, have been found during nearby outings, during a few hours or a day right here in NYC and Long Island.

I’ve gone on guided tours, in which I’ve learned much about the true pastime of birding.  Sometimes, I’ve had fellow birders join me on my day out, and together we search, spot, and shout for joy over finding a species we haven’t seen before, or one that we have, but is a favorite to see again.  Sharing this time is such joy.  Other times, I’ve gone on my own – for a short retreat from the busyness of life.
As I walk and listen – I hear the chirping, warbling, calls, and songs of birds hidden in the trees and bushes I am near.  Seeing them hop around, dart from tree to tree, gather material to build their meticulous nests, or sitting high atop the highest branch in a tree, singing so loudly, so beautifully, it amazes me.

I can’t help but pause each time I am birding and think about how perfectly created each bird is.  Each has a calling and a song of its own.  Each has specific markings that identify the exact species they are.  Each has a place where they nest, a place where they rest while migrating, and a place they call home.

I am so thankful to the Lord for sharing these amazing creatures and thankful they are willing to share their songs and beauty with me.
I once read a quote by A. W. Tozer – which I believe says it all:

"God made the birds to warble and harmonize as though they were tuned to a harp. God who made the birds is the Chief Musician of the universe. He made the harps in those little throats and said, 'Go and Sing!' Thankfully, the birds obeyed, and they have been singing and praising God ever since they were created."
Enjoy just a glimpse of my feathered friends!

Black-capped Chickadee

Male Northern Cardinal

Male Northern Flicker

White-throated Sparrow

Osprey Nest

Juvenile Red-tailed Hawk

Wood Ducks

Blue Heron

Female Northern Cardinal

Killdeer

Female Boat-tailed Grackles

Common Grackle

Tree Swallow

Flamingo

Common Moorhen

Green Heron

Yellow Warbler

Mallard

Male Red-winged Blackbird

Greater Yellowlegs

1 comment:

  1. I'm amazed by the quality of your pictures and blessed by the beauty of these creatures and your thoughts on them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete