Sunday, June 3, 2012

A Daughter’s A Daughter for the Rest of Your Life






My daughter turned 30 today – I cannot believe I just wrote those words.  Somehow, someway, 30 years have gone by since the day I found out that I now had a daughter.


You may have heard the phrase, “As son’s a son ‘til he finds a wife, a daughter’s a daughter for the rest of your life.”  This is true, to a point.  I don’t feel I lost my son once he married, but there is a difference in a relationship with a grown daughter, at least for a mother.

My ‘little girl’ has grown into an amazing young woman and she has also grown to be a precious friend to me.  What a blessing to be able to get to a point in life where I can share so many moments with my daughter.  We love being together; shopping, going out to eat, taking in a good (or not so good) movie, sharing weekend getaways and other vacations.  We talk endlessly about our journey in life, our trials and our blessings.  We encourage one another in our faith and so many other areas of our lives.  We cry together and many, many times find ourselves laughing so hard it hurts (many times at my expense).










But the gift I cherish most is seeing how she has grown into an amazing woman of God.  She puts her trust in the Lord and clings to His Word as she moves forward in her life.  When she struggles with situations in her life, although it may seem difficult and sometimes impossible, she still holds on to the hope that can only come from above.  When she celebrates joy and blessings, she is well aware of where the goodness comes from.

Although she works as the Director of Financial Reporting for a corporation in New York City, giving 110%, that is truly not her passion.  She finds time to give so much to our family, our church community, and other ministries she serves in.

Her true passion is for young children, which she serves as the Director of Children’s Ministry.  Not only organizing programs and working with the teachers of our Children’s Church, she also teaches and has won the hearts of even the most hard-to-reach children. 
My daughter has directed our Vacation Bible School for many years – reaching out to the children of our community – loving and praying for all the children who attend.  Last year, she was asked to organize mini-VBS programs for our mission trip to Haiti – and did so – touching many in the Haitian villages we visited – bringing laughter and joy to each of the children who attended.





She’s a daughter, a sister, a granddaughter, a niece, a cousin, a sister-in-law, an aunt and a friend to many.  In each relationship, all know she can be trusted at all times, she loves with her entire being, and she is a blessing to each.









My daughter – a gift to me – a gift to so many others.  My heart overflows with joy as we celebrate her birthday and as I continue to celebrate the years of having her in my life.






A daughter’s a daughter for the rest of your life.

6 comments:

  1. ...and now I'm crying (may be a sign of my new old age)...but thanks SO much for your SWEET words. You are SUCH a blessing in my life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post. LOVED reading this. LOVE you Krista!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully said. You are an amazing mother-daughter duo. My daughter is super-special, too. We are blessed ladies.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally crying now. Never fails, every time we are together I am in awe of your strength and faith. I am so blessed to know you both. Happy Birthday! ~Elisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy - what a beautiful testimony to Krista who IS the complete package - beauty, brains, sense of humor, AND spiritual depth and devotion-all wrapped up in a very unassuming young lady I'm proud to call friend and sister in Christ. Happy Birthday! Love always, Gin

    ReplyDelete