Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Anticipation


Anticipation:  the feeling of looking forward, usually excitedly or eagerly, to something that is going to happen.

I had plans to visit my grandchildren in Kentucky.  I was scheduled for a flight out of LaGuardia Airport at 7:40 pm tonight - Wednesday night – I would arrive at 9:55 pm and stay through Sunday.  A short visit – but staying with them, waking each morning and spending entire days together, usually makes up for living far away and not having the opportunity for spur of the moment visits or outings.

Heavy storms were predicted for the New York City/Long Island area – with warnings of flash flooding, heavy thunder & lightening.  The day was overcast – sun would sneak a peek ever-so-often and then a burst of thunder and rain.  But once again I was teased by that sun shining down through massive clouds.


Maybe, just maybe, it will calm down just enough for me to make my flight – and once I was up above the clouds – let all hell break loose. 
I had scheduled to leave work early to go home, get my dog settled, and get a few last minute things packed.  Car service was to arrive around 5:15.  On my way home, while listening to the radio in the car, I heard that annoying alarm sounding from the radio – the one that usually beings with, “This is a test” and ends with, “if this was an actual emergency, you would be directed what to do next.”  But it wasn’t a test – it was actually warning about the intense storms – heavy winds – flood warnings – and now massive hail storms happening in New York City and some areas of Queens. Three inch hail was found in Greenwich Village.  Serious lightening storms – 14 lightening strikes in 10 minutes in one area of NYC.


Am I stupid to still think maybe all will just come pouring down for a couple of hours and then I can still catch my flight?  Am I an idiot to think – so, we’ll be delayed and it’ll be the saga to tell all – but I’ll arrive in my son’s home, late at night, to sleeping grandchildren that will greet me in the morning?  Ummm – yes, I am! 
My car service even called and asked was I absolutely certain my flight was still scheduled, since they were getting cancellations for all reservations for any car going to an airport.  Well, eventually – all flights – every single flight – going out of Kennedy & LaGuardia airports were cancelled.  OK – I guess I’m not going!  I got it.


My feeling of disappointment was intense.  I haven’t been with my grandchildren since Christmas and missed them terribly.  I can only imagine how disappointed they were as well.  Nonna was not coming tonight!
Tomorrow is another day!  Due to all flights being cancelled tonight, I’m sure the airports are going to be crazy with rescheduling and possibly more cancellations, since predictions of scattered thunderstorms are in the forecast for tomorrow as well.

You never know – I may be lucky and find some flight – even if later in the day.  And although I will have lost tons of time with everyone, I will still have some precious moments with my grandkids.

So I’ll wait – once again – with anticipation!  Maybe, just maybe, we’ll be having dinner together.
Until then – thankfully – there’s Skype!

No comments:

Post a Comment