Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sarah's Key

I recently finished reading Sarah’s Key, by Tatiana de Rosnay. 
For longer than I can remember, there has been a tender place in my heart for the victims of the Holocaust and I am always amazed at the resilience of its survivors.
I love when I have the opportunity to learn something new about true events, especially of those I have never known, while reading historical fiction.  This tragic event in Paris that took place in 1942 – The Vel’ d’Hiv – is something that has left a mark on my mind, heart and soul that I believe will be there for quite some time.
Knowing Sarah as only ‘the Girl’ until almost a third into the book, contributed to being able to feel the unworthiness this 10 year old girl felt, especially before she was cared for and safe once more.  Although this caring and safety did not take away the anguish of her loss and guilt she was unable to let go of for the remainder of her life.
The contrast between trivial problems of the American Journalist, Julia compared to the critical problems of Sarah, as well as between the other victims of The Vel’ d’Hiv and the French people, give light to the heart of mankind more than we would probably like to admit.
This book is compelling – I highly recommend it.

4 comments:

  1. This was our Book Club's read last month. Absolutely loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. where is my comment? :o(

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, guess I figured it out....
    anyway, this sounds like a good book to read!
    Reminds me of when you were in the play "Anne Frank". Did you play the part of Margot?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No I actually played Miep Gies - who was the last survivor among Anne Frank's protectors and was the woman who preserved Anne Frank's diary. Playing that part opened my eyes to the holocaust as well as my love for acting - which continued through my school years!

    ReplyDelete