Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Farewell Sweet Angel


Last night I said goodbye to a dear, sweet angel – my dog Maggie.


She was the silliest, sweetest, best little friend anyone could ever ask for.  She celebrated her 17th birthday this past April, and loved me no matter what . . . hopefully she felt the same love in return from me until the very end of her life.

The very beginning of her life began looking a bit uncertain.  She was not only given a chance at life but I was also given a chance to experience a love that was so precious from this cute little puppy.



I will hold onto so many precious memories of our years together – below are some favorites:

- her never-ending wagging tail
- the way she greeted me whether I was away for a minute dumping the garbage, or away on vacation
- the way she jumped down running around when I asked, “Where’s your toy?”
- how she shook that toy while it “fought with her” and then finally brought it to me
- when she heard the elevator bell ring in my hallway she got excited because someone might be visiting
- her disappointment when she heard another apartment door close – knowing they were not visiting us
- when someone did ring our doorbell - for some reason she first ran after the cat - chasing her down the hall - then ran back to the door
- how she carried a stick, head held high, prancing while we walked around our neighborhood
- she got excited when she got a new leash, collar and harness - such a girl loving the wardrobe!
- how she waited in front of the stove, sniffing for hours, whenever I made homemade tomato sauce
- how much she loved a treat of macaroni & sauce with her food
- her strange obsession with toast – plain ol’ toast – and would get so excited while I was toasting bread
- how she danced around the kitchen anytime I made popcorn – and then shared some with her
- how she would run back & forth barking under my living room window – and when I looked down 6 stories – I would see someone calmly & quietly walking their dog
- how she constantly followed me from room to room whenever I was busy running around my apartment – always lying down directly behind me
- how such a small dog could take up so much room in a queen sized bed

There is so much more . . . but most of all, I’m amazed at how much of my heart she captured, how deep in my soul she reached, and how blessed I am to have had her in my life. 

Farewell sweet angel.



8 comments:

  1. and now I'm crying at my desk...but she truly was the best! I miss her so much...but am thankful to have shared over half my life with her :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah your sweet Maggie:0) What a great life she had. She will be missed and remembered. - Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet, sweet Maggie! What a beautiful life she had, Nancy. She was so lucky to have you, and you to have her. hugs!

    xo
    jenna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear about Maggie. Wow 17years. How lucky you both were to have each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved reading about all the things she loved - what personality! Not surprised that she loved the sauce - bet she liked your meatballs too :-) I know you will miss her terribly but how blessed you were to have her for 17 years - Wow!
    No one loves you like your dog.
    Love,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your beautiful experiences & memories with me. I am sitting at my desk crying my eyes out. I miss my wonderful Peri-dog too!. What lucky girls we are to have such amazing memories.
    Love,
    Ilene

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry for your loss. I was one of the dog walkers who would come and walk and feed Maggie. She was such a cutie! Her spunk even at 17 always amazed me. I'll never forget one of the 1st times I walked her... she brought me to basement to show me an easier way for her to go out! After that day that's the way I Always brought her. She was so smart and so sweet. I'm so blessed to have spent a little time with her. R.I.P sweet girl ♥

    ReplyDelete