Saturday, September 22, 2012

A Haven Found in Holden Beach





A beautiful house on the beach – in a quaint little town – each bedroom leading to either the 1st or 2nd floor porch with rocking chairs. 



As I stood in my bedroom – with its King-sized bed – private bath with a multi-head shower – I could see the sun shining through the window and door leading out to the porch.  I stepped outside – felt the warmth of the sun on my face and looked down at the walkway from the house leading over the dunes to the beach.  I heard the waves playing their constant melody – calling me to relax and totally enjoy this moment.  A moment in time given to me as a gift from my children & grandchildren for my 60th Birthday.  I am truly blessed.







For the next week, I was able to spend uninterrupted time with Krista, Peter & Sarah – and of course my 3 grandchildren, Justin, Jonathan (otherwise known as Pook) and sweet Emma. 
The kids were on a camping trip & visit with their grandparents in South Carolina just prior to this vacation.  Emma unfortunately had an accident and arrived in Holden Beach with a hot pink cast on her little, chubby leg.  But before long – we realized we were more upset than she was – as she learned to hobble around – crawl – climb – run a bit – and even dance – with her pink cast and boot. 

On our first day we distracted her when the boys headed to the beach – taking her on errands and playing with her indoors and on the porch – but it wasn’t long before she was asking about her bathing suit and we realized she needed some way to enjoy the beach as well.  Sarah researched the web – found other parents' solutions to children in casts during the summer – and later Peter headed out and came back with Press ‘n Seal plastic wrap and a waterproof device meant for an adult’s arm. 

Together these items created a waterproof, sand-proof answer to Emma’s quandary – and she was able to come down to the beach each day – dig in the sand, wade in the water and even lie at the shore while waves came up and crashed on her bathing suit.  She was a happy little girl.








Each night I would stand outside my room and see more stars than I had ever seen at one time.  I would see the darkness across the beach with the whitecaps of the waves breaking on the shore.  The sound of the waves crashing during the night was soothing – it was so nice to have a natural “sound machine” while I slept each night.


I woke each morning – again to the sounds of the waves – and the sun rising over the beach – waiting for us to join in.  I would sit in a rocking chair outside my door and could actually smell the salt water in the air and see shore birds flying high along the beach.  As I spent time in morning prayers and my devotional, I felt peace and joy overflowing.












I would go downstairs and find 3 very excited children – announcing, “Nonna’s up” and smell the fresh pot of coffee waiting for me.  Most mornings Peter cooked bacon and eggs to order as we sat in the roomy kitchen – at an Island which included the stove and counter with stools.  Conversations began and didn’t end until we said goodnight at the end of each day.  One morning – at Peter’s request – I made Mom’s Bisquick Pancakes – of course served alongside bacon – and coffee.  And then – my favorite – Sarah’s Breakfast Casserole!

Soon all were running up to their rooms – putting on bathing suits – grabbing pails & shovels, boogie boards, towels, beach chairs and sunscreen and heading to the beach – since that is why we were here anyway!

The beach was beautiful – crystal clear warm water – and constant signs of beach and shore life.  I noticed, as Pook informed me when I was first told of my gift to Holden Beach, “Nonna, there’s quite a lot of wildlife at Holden Beach.”  And there was!
Many shorebirds were always along the shore – sandpipers, terns, sanderlings, brown pelicans, and various types of gulls.  A few times during the week we saw dolphins passing by – dancing & playing in the waves as they headed either North or South.  We saw many schools of fish in the waves as they crested while we were swimming, and an occasional crab would scurry along the shore, returning to the water once we were near it.














During the day we played, swam, took long walks, read, listened to music while sunbathing and chatting about whatever was on our minds and in our hearts. 

Aunt Krista and Nonna brought some surprises that were able to bring many smiles from not only the kids but all us ‘kids at heart’ as well.  We played with a giant beach ball, bubbles with a giant bubble wand, parachute figures diving off the extended porch onto the beach, tossing colorful flying saucers along the beach, and whatever else entertained all.



Some of my favorite memories:
Early morning walk along the beach – while still in our pjs – searching for shells.  Holden Beach has amazing shells along the shore each morning – just waiting for shell collectors to scoop up. 











Peter & Krista walked & talked together, gaining distance as Justin & I tagged behind – picking up treasures and having lengthy discussions about all sorts of things. 







I kept standing in amazement at how much Justin has grown and how easily he can chat for long periods of time, while we walked and gathered our shells. 







Fun times in the water with Justin, laughing at our attempt to fight the current pulling us in the opposite direction of where we wanted to be.  Making up imaginary tales of being pulled to England’s coast and standing in front of Big Ben in our bathing suits with Justin’s boogie board!




Watching Pook in the water – ‘jumping’ the waves as they came to shore – being ever-so-cautious of how deep he went in.  Hearing his giggles as we acted silly and ran way from the wave chasing us.  His tender heart and fun spirit shines forth in everything he does.


Hearing Emma ask, “I come?” each time we would leave the house – making sure she was part of the fun.  Drawing pictures Emma requested and hearing her excitement when I accomplished the artistic version of her request.  Watching Aunt Krista read her stories, and seeing a child only 2 ½ years old with a keen sense of humor that would get all of us laughing so hard!


Watching Justin master boogie boarding - far out into the ocean – riding waves all the way to the shore and heading out again and again.
















Sitting on the porch swing with the kids.


While reading and sunning, having Peter bring afternoon drinks to the beach.  Almost like being on a cruise – well, a cruise on land!  Totally relaxing at the beach, while watching the kids having a great time.

Amazing dinners each night!  Always eating too much – but not really caring since I was still celebrating my 60th and it IS vacation:  BBQ Sandwiches – Grilled Marinated Chicken Breasts, served with Rigatoni with Roasted Vegetables - Mexican Fiesta Night; Tacos (soft & hard) with toppings, Spanish Rice, Black Beans, Guacamole – Barbequed Hot Dogs & Hamburgers – Barbequed Steak & Baked Potatoes – Garlic/Butter Shrimp with Creamy Southern Grits & Crumbled Bacon.

And our last night we went out for Southern BBQ, which was AMAZING!

Playing games with Peter, Sarah & Krista at night, once the kids were in bed.  Always ‘thinking’ I might win this time – but never did – but loved the laughs and chats while playing.



Being able to see the amazing parents Peter & Sarah are - caring for their children, always teaching, keeping them occupied and happy, disciplining when necessary - resulting in 3 amazingly well behaved, happy kids – who know they are loved beyond words.







Seeing how perfectly the Lord joined together my son with the most amazing woman to be his wife.  Constantly being reminded of just how precious both Peter & Sarah are to me.










Watching Peter & Krista interact as adults – sometimes just as silly as they did when they were young children – sharing with each other all that is going on in their lives – encouraging one another – and of course, making fun of each other whenever they saw an opportunity.



Enjoying our Mexican Fiesta and dance parties – with DJ Pook!
All let loose with their hats, light sticks & necklaces - having a blast!  Even Emma – dancing away in her little pink cast and dance hat – taking her dances very seriously.






Painted sunset skies.

Birthday song over 60 flaming candles – melting quickly due to the high heat!!

The car trip to and from Holden Beach with Krista.  Stopping on the way down for an evening’s rest and our hearty Cracker Barrel Breakfast before continuing on our trip. 


Driving straight through when returning home – making quick stops and once to eat - supplied with Krista’s iPod travel song list to entertain us to and from – never repeating a song!  Singing, talking, laughing – making a long trip fun!  





I don’t know what could have made this beautiful vacation gift any more precious than it was.  I returned home so loved, refreshed, and with a mindful of memories that I will hold dear to my heart – always! 

I am blessed beyond words!











3 comments:

  1. Yes you are!! Thanks for letting me enjoy the overflow and share in your happiness...God is endlessly amazing- and so are you, my friend.
    Love
    Gin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy, I cried and laughed through this whole story. What. A. Blessing. I am so overjoyed at the special week you were given. Holden Beach is sooo special to us and to know that you loved it too with family is dear. I absolutely treasure any time I get with the LaRuffa clan so I know your mind will dwell on this special week for a very long time. Leslie

    ReplyDelete