Friday, August 3, 2012

P-A-R-T-Y Time!



I celebrated my 60th Birthday on August 2nd.  Well I am actually still celebrating – and there’s more to come.

I always loved celebrating my birthday – even when I reached those milestones – 30 – 50 – and now 60!  I’ve never been one to hide my age!  I figure if I made it this far – I deserve to shout from the rooftop that it’s my birthday. 

Of course as my kids grew up – I always fussed on their special day.  They would wake to a room full of balloons, banners and birthday songs, with Captain Zoom singing, “Hey Peter/Krista, It’s Your Birthday!” 


This would always follow with their favorite breakfast – even on school days – they would get treated to a special birthday start.  There were family gatherings and kiddie parties – tons of treats, cake and gifts.  My son’s birthday is January 7 and I would do my best to take down all our Christmas decorations before his birthday – trying my best to avoid having his day just tagged onto the holiday festivities.  As he got older – this rush to take down the tree wasn’t so important – which, all kidding aside, was a big mistake, because I would then leave my decorations up forever!  My daughter’s birthday being June 3, was a great mid-year break and I tried to take advantage of the season and have some outdoor celebrations for her.

Anyway – my son & daughter were also very sweet and would fuss over Mom with cards, gifts and fun times.  As they became adults and my son married and moved away – they would get in touch with each other and plan something special for me – always making sure my day was special and that I knew they thought of me. 

This year – being a major milestone – I am being treated to a week at a house on the beach in Holden Beach, North Carolina – with my son, my daughter-in-law, my grandchildren and my daughter.  It’s not that often that I am able to have everyone together. 
This is all to take place the 2nd week in September.  So although my birthday has passed – I still have something really special to look forward to.  I am truly blessed.

My extended family & friends are also fussing over the ol’ gal and I have many dinners, visits, and outings planned throughout the month.  Not a bad deal!

I guess I sound like a little kid – getting all excited about her birthday.  But I realized that it’s not really the fussing over me that I’m excited about – it’s having the excuse to get together with the many people who are so precious to me and spending some fun times with everyone.  And yes, most get-togethers are based around great food – I’m sure that’s a big part of the excitement!

I have so much to be thankful for.  I would like to focus every day on my blessings, rather than the difficult times each day may bring; realize the caring and love that surrounds me; enjoy each “now” moment – since I really do not know what tomorrow will bring.

One birthday dinner down – a few birthday lunches planned - and then at least two more dinners this month; this weekend a family combo celebration with my Dad – his birthday is August 4.  Later this month – another dinner with very dear friends.  Then next month, it’s off to Holden Beach with the treasures of my heart!




3 comments:

  1. You deserve every bit of celebrating!! Can't wait until our trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nancy - I can't tell you how glad I am to be a part of the celebrating- we're all better off because of your gift for making things extraordinary! thanks for giving us a great reason to celebrate. Love and hugs..... i am not a robot....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the sweet words! Love that we can celebrate together as well. And even if you were a robot I would still love you "Anonymous!"

    ReplyDelete