Saturday, May 14, 2011

Unbroken












Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption
By: Laura Hillenbrand

Having been long interested in the resilience and commitment of veterans of war, I am drawn to stories regarding survivors of the atrocities of these wars.  Perhaps its hearing of the courage and will to persevere along with the determination to survive just one more day that reaches somewhere deep within my heart.
I heard an interview with Laura Hillenbrand, regarding her newly released book, Unbroken.  I knew at that moment this book was to be added to my “need to read” list.
This true story of Louis Zamperini drew me into a life of an unruly young boy growing into a rambunctious young man and finally coming into his own, only to be forced to grow up so much faster than anyone should have to. I was taken along on a journey of survival and strength beyond measure.
Sure, it’s a story of World War II, young boys becoming men, with a will to survive the horrors of Japanese POW camps.  But it’s so much more; it reveals the soul yearning to survive and always reaching towards redemption, but most times not truly grasping it, even running away from it.
The impeccable research by the author resulted in detail that brings the reader personally to each moment, almost able to smell the air in each scene.  So much so, Louie once told his friends, “When I want to know what happened to me in Japan, I call Laura.”

I find myself often thinking of Louie Zamperini – as a mother, would I have had the faith and strength to stay strong and hold on, even when faced with the news of my son’s most likely death; as a wife, would I myself have remained faithful for so long or turned away from the stranger now in my life; as a friend, would I have been able to remain true in spite of possibly losing the friend I hoped would return; as an American, touched at how much our military sacrifices for our nation’s principles and beliefs; as a Christian, knowing how true redemption can overcome more than we are physically and emotionally able to bear.
Redemption – the only way to complete healing and absolute true freedom.
A must read.

1 comment:

  1. This story is incredible! Even if it were told in the driest terms possible it would be compelling. However, in Laura Hillenbrand's hands we have been gifted with an engaging, evocative retelling of a story of group of men, focusing primarily on one man, Louie Zamperini. Everyone should know this story!

    ReplyDelete