Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mother's Day

I can remember it as if it was yesterday – receiving a phone call from my doctor telling me that my pregnancy test was positive.  Way back then, we had to go to the Dr., then to a lab, and wait patiently for our test results – none of this quick “pink or blue” or “positive or negative” deal on a stick.  From that moment on, my anticipation of actually being a mother and raising a child was overwhelming and yet exciting. 


January 7, 1979 my son was born.  After 30 hours of labor – and an unplanned cesarean birth – nothing mattered except that I was given a precious boy to love, teach, guide, and share my life with!



Three and a half years later, on June 3, 1982 my daughter was born.  And although she was a planned cesarean birth – she decided to kick up some labor four days earlier than her planned birth date – just to be sure her birth would also have some stories to share.





For 32 years I have been blessed with the name “Mommy.”  Together my children and I have been through many trials, joys, blessings and absolutely loving moments.  I have so many beautiful memories and am still building on what will one day become a lifetime of wonderful stories to tell generations ahead. 



Becoming a grandmother – “Nonna” to my grandchildren – only added to the amazing experience of being a mother.  As of now, I have 7-year-old and 4-year-old grandsons and a 1-year-old granddaughter.  I can’t even begin to describe the joy this has been for me.



My children were given to me as a gift and I was given the opportunity to prepare them for whatever the Lord had in store for their future.  Wherever I may have failed, the Lord must have stepped in, since both my son and daughter have grown into God-loving, God-serving adults and are each amazing blessings to me and so many others.

So on this Mother’s Day, a day when most pamper and bless their Mom, I am already blessed beyond words with the privilege to have been given children and grandchildren to share along my journey.  I await each day with great expectation to see what the Lord has planned for each of us.


No comments:

Post a Comment