Saturday, February 26, 2011

Stir-Fry

A wok, some oil, garlic, ginger – turn up the heat and I’m swept away to another world.
As a teen, I was given the job to prepare dinner every weeknight and to be sure to have it ready to eat by the time my father returned from picking up my mother from her job.  Dinner was hot and ready to eat at 6:15 each night.  This meant I needed to be home in time to prepare each meal – cutting short any free time in my afternoons.  I thought this was an unfair job for me – but would never consider challenging my parents regarding this chore – a whole different world.  Funny thing was I also never wanted to admit that I was really enjoying the actual cooking.
Result - I absolutely love, love, to cook!  Give me time in the kitchen and I feel like an artist given the chance to create a culinary masterpiece.
I grew up cooking typical “American” dishes and of course, Italian dishes, taught to me by my mother as well as dishes passed down from my grandmother.  I later experimented and tried various dishes with flavors of the world, and continue to do so today.  I love to experiment and try all types of cuisine. 
There was a period in the 70’s that I became obsessed with Asian dishes and playing with my wok trying recipes from every Asian cookbook I could get my hand on; later experimenting on my own!  The fun of tossing various vegetables, spices, chicken, beef, pork, tofu – whatever is around, turning it into an “Ahhh” moment – is a thrill.  The aromas rising as I add each ingredient, each spice, calling on the next to complete the flavor – too much.  I know, I’m sounding a bit obsessed – but you have to admit – sitting down to a meal that was cooked with a love and passion of cooking will please the palate so much more!
I wish I could thank my Mom, for teaching me, sharing with me, and yes, forcing me to work in the kitchen.  Many of her recipes are not only made again and again by me, but also being cooked by her granddaughter, my daughter in her own home.  So many moments with Mom, her words of wisdom, tears and laughter are definitely with me always, and have contributed immensely to who I have become today.
Tonight – stir fry chicken with vegetables – julienne carrots, sliced celery, mushrooms, sliced onion, sliced red pepper, asparagus – garlic, ginger, my new favorite-Chinese Five Spice, tossed with Chinese noodles and a drizzle of sesame oil when complete!


1 comment: