Monday, July 8, 2013

A Glimpse Into a Son's Heart



As a parent, grandparent, and an aunt – I many times still see the young men in my life as the little boys I love so dearly.

My nephew was one adorable little boy – and many times I still see him as this cute little boy.





I would also say I picture Michael with a basketball in his hand more times than not.  He started playing at a very young age and continued not only through college – but still plays, coaches, and runs a basketball clinic for young children.

Every once in awhile – I do see the young man he is – but in my heart – he’s always cute little Michael.

His graduation day from college was a day we were all very proud of – and I guess it was time to realize the little boy had become a man – and was heading into the real world.

This past month has been a time where Michael has not only grown tremendously as a young man – but has revealed his true heart as a son; showing how very much his mom means to him, his appreciation for her, and how he would do anything for her.

Mother’s and sons – especially in single parent families – have their roller coaster relationships – but just as in the ride – each moment is exhilarating – with its ups and downs – but always wanting to continue the ride again and again.

One glimpse into Michael’s heart – a facebook post he had put on Father’s Day:

Happy Father's Day to all the single mothers out there. Especially the one that raised me. 
Marie Panella.
Sometimes it takes a woman to teach you how to be a man.

From that day forward – we have all been on a journey with his Mom, my sister, following her car accident and her days in SICU; holding on to each other, our prayers, and love as she slowly heals.

The “man” Michael referred to in his facebook post – was not only revealed during this time – but went above and beyond what most young men of 27 would be capable of. 

As he dealt with his own fears and concerns, he stepped up as her advocate as days turned to weeks of medical decisions, concerns, caring and loving.  He spent many 24-hour periods at the hospital – waiting.  He challenged decisions, requested meetings with doctors prior to procedures, and sat by her bedside continually until the one day she finally woke up.

He continues to be with her every free moment he has – following-up on procedures and goals being set forth for his Mom.  One of the doctors had said during the first few weeks of her being in SICU that he can’t wait until Michael’s mother wakes up so he can tell her what an amazing advocate Michael has been for her throughout all of this.

My sister has definitely raised an amazing man.  My nephew has definitely proven to be a loving son with unconditional love for his mother.

Although this experience is nothing anyone would want to have in their lives – I am blessed to have been given the opportunity to get a glimpse into the heart of a son – my sister’s son.  I cannot express how proud I am of my nephew and cannot wait until this is all behind us - when I can share so many beautiful moments about my nephew with my sister, his Mom.


No comments:

Post a Comment